Whether one hand or two, the kettlebell swing is the simplest exercise to learn to start burning fat immediately.
Why The Kettlebell Swing Is Phenomenal For Fat Loss
The kettlebell swing burns fat so well because it is what’s known as a compound exercise – an exercise that uses many muscles spanning more than one joint in your body. The kettlebell swing uses many joints in the body and therefore a lot of muscles.
It uses the feet, the ankles, the knees, hips, spine, and shoulders, and all the muscles crossing those joints, including the calves, hamstrings, quads, glutes, lower back, upper back, shoulders, arms, and hands.
This is an important concept to understand because muscles are your “fat-burning machinery.” Therefore, the more muscles you use in a specific exercise, the more fat you can potentially burn. And, when using an exercise that uses almost every muscle in your body, your body will burn lots of calories, and therefore lots of fat.
Cool deal, huh?
So instead of wasting your valuable time doing lots of different traditional exercises like biceps curls, triceps extensions, leg extensions and leg curls, you can do just one exercise – the kettlebell swing – and literally burn fat by only performing three 20 minute workouts a week!
Even cooler, huh?
I think so too.
Here’s how you get started with the kettlebell swing.
1. Grab your kettlebell.
2. Stand with the kettlebell between your feet.
3. Take one step back, so your kettlebell is approximately 12 to 18 inches in front of you.
4. Keeping your back flat, fold at your hips so your hips push back and you feel a stretch in the back of your legs. Your feet should be flat on the floor. Your head and eyes are looking straight ahead.
5. Grab your kettlebell by the handle and swing it underneath your body between your legs. This is called the “backswing.”
6. When the kettlebell goes as far as it can underneath your body, imagine jumping and stand up straight as fast as you can. Think about Exploding! Your feet should remain flat on the floor, heels down.
7. The kettlebell will shoot out from beneath your body and will form an extension of your hands and arms. It should be parallel with the ground.
8. Allow the kettlebell to swing back underneath your body and between your legs and stand up again.
9. Repeat the “folding” and “exploding” for the desired number of reps.
10. Perform as many reps and sets as you feel like, as long as you can maintain your technique. Every rep should feel the same.
Advanced Fat-Burning Tips For Faster Results With The Kettlebell Swing
Here are some advanced technique tips that allow you to burn even more bodyfat with your kettlebell swing workouts. Practice these during your workouts and you’ll burn fat at a rate faster than you thought possible.
1. Inhale and hold your breath on the backswing. This will help stabilize your spine and protect your lower back. Plus it’ll make your abs work harder. (And then of course, look better.)
2. Imagine pushing your feet through the floor during each rep. This will help you stay “grounded” or attached to the floor and will help you generate more force. More force production equals more work. And more work equals more calories burned. And guess what your body burns as calories? That’s right – stored body fat.
3. Imagine pulling your kneecaps up into your groin. This will allow you to generate more force as well.
4. Squeeze your glutes at the top of each rep. This will ensure you protect your lower back and make your body work even harder, burning more calories during each and every kettlebell training session.
5. Tighten your stomach, at the top of the kettlebell swing, like someone was about to punch you. This will also help to protect your lower back from injury, especially when combined with tip #3.
6. Breathe from behind your abs and forcefully exhale at the top of the Swing. This will make your abs contract even harder than just tightening them alone.
Don’t worry about trying to get all six of the advanced kettlebell swing tips down in one shot. Just play around with one of them at a time on each set. Then slowly incorporate them into your kettlebell swing workouts.
3 More Cool Reasons To Use The Kettlebell Swing For Fat-Burning
1. You can perform the kettlebell swing from the comfort of your own home – saving you time since you no longer have to go to the local health club or gym.
2. The kettlebell swing makes exercise convenient since you can now do it from the comfort of your own home. Not only that, it saves you money too – you no longer have to shell out a monthly fee to the health club you joined but never go to.
3. Because the kettlebell is so convenient and you can use it from the comfort of your own home, it makes being compliant and routinely exercising so much easier. And compliance is the fastest way to get the results you’re looking for. Let’s face it, if you don’t workout, you can’t burn off that excess body fat.
Imagine how much weight you could lose and how good you could look in the next 30 days if you started using the kettlebell swing your main fat burning exercise…